Elizabeth May reports on the tabling of a China Agreement in the house on September 26th, 2012. It was slipped through when no one was there to notice and will have no debate in the house. Among other features she reports: “The nuclear deal is a cover for our sales of uranium to China. [no doubt this is to supply the many new nuclear power plants they are building.] Under the terms of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, no country is to sell nuclear materials to a country with nuclear weapons unless it can absolutely guarantee a system of verifications and monitoring to ensure uranium for peaceful uses does not end up in nuclear weapons. The two page deal released September 26, cannot do that.”
CUSJ responds to Federal Environmental Review on Darlington Upgrades October 15th, 2012
Plan to decomission Gentilly 2 in Quebec.
Report to Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission on cleanup processes and costs for Fukushima
Greenpeace: Lessons from Fukushima and Chernobyl and an update on Nuclear regulation in Canada.Margaret Rao (Right) and Frances Deverell present to Darlington Review Panel
On March 31st, Margaret Rao and Frances Deverell attended the Darlington Review panel and presented our brief. This brief came out of extension discussions on the listserve, among individuals, and at the board level. We did not have 100% consensus on the position to take but the majority of the board wanted to take a stand. At CUSJ we do not require 100% consensus, but we do honour the feelings of the minority. For this reason, we included the alternative view in our brief, and are presenting sources from both sides of the argument below. We did not have Mark Lynus’ article in our hands when we wrote the brief and took our position? Is it a game changer? Or do the questions of nuclear waste and the damage from mining still hold sway?
CUSJ Brief – PDF version - Nuclear Power Brief 2011 03 31 CUSJ
If you are surfing this page, don’t close the page. Use the back arrow to get back to the list and keep looking.
- Ontario’s Green Energy Plan 2.0
- Mouvement Vert Mauricie submission to the Joint Review Panel (technical review of CANDU reactors)
- MVM_final on nuclear power
- Saskatchewan Environmental Society Position on Nuclear Power
- SES Nuclear Energy Position_Final
- Union of Concerned Scientists, (a Washington-based nuclear watchdog group) report by David Lochbaum, the UCS nuclear engineer (14 near misses) Nuclear power report – Near Misses
- Sierra Club talking points Sierra Club talking points
- Kingston Whig Standard article, by Joshua Pearce, March 24, 2011 (Insurance)
- Nuclear and Govt Insurance
- Physicians For Social Responsibility – Thorium fact sheet thorium2009factsheet
- Fukushima vs Chernobyl
- Radiation Discussion
- Chernobyl Legacy
- George Monbiot — Guardian March 22, 2011 George Monbiot on negative impact of renewable energy
- Nuclear Power, Thorium by By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard Nuclear power-Thorium
- Mark Lynas – Nuclear radiation is less harmful than we think
- Letters From Those Who Support Nuclear Power
- Searching For a Miracle – Richard Heinberg on the need for a no-growth strategy for society.