CO-OPS ARE THE ROUTE TO THE FUTURE WE WANT
- 100% Renewable Energy
- Local, Organically grown food taking advantage of biodiversity
When people looked into why Europe was able to move so quickly into renewable energy, the answer was co-ops. Why wasn’t there more resistance to windmills in Europe and Scandanavia? (Energy Mix describes coops in Germany )Because the initiatives were community based and co-ops. How do you get a new type of initiative going if the mainstream corporations won’t touch it? Co-ops. It’s a lot of work. It takes commitment to participative decision-making and shared responsibility. But co-ops put good jobs and a sound local economy in place for the long term.
Renewable Energy Co-ops
- Start or Join a Renewable Energy Co-op like these: Ottawa Renewable Energy Coop
- Toronto Renewable Energy Coop
- Support Bullfrog Power.
- Transition Salt Spring Coop – supporting solutions to help the community move away from fossil fuels
Local Food Co-ops
- Start or Join a Local Food and Transition Co-op like the West End Well in Ottawa. This is a cafe, local foodstore, and meeting place where learning can be on-going and new creative enterprises generated.
- Neighbourhood Cooperative Greenhouses – building greenhouses for local food
- Neechi Commons Aboriginal Food Co-op in Winnipeg
See our AGM 2013 in Calgary
Interested in starting a new Co-op? Get information on what’s involved at the Canadian Cooperative Association